THE APRIL ACHIEVEMENTS INCLUDES: ARREST FOR CONSPIRACY, MURDER, ARMED ROBBERY, UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS, FRAUD AND CULTISM SUSPECTS AND RECOVERY OF ARMS AND AMMUNITION; CP REITERATES RESOLVE TO RID STATE OF CRIMES AND CRIMINALITY THESE TYRING TIMES OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
1. The Enugu State Command of the Nigeria Police Force wishes to inform members of the public, especially the residents of the State that it has successfully arrested a total of sixteen (16) male suspects for the offences of conspiracy, murder, armed robbery, unlawful possession of firearms, fraud and cultism. Six (6) locally-made firearms with four (4) live cartridges, sixteen (16) .9mm live ammunition, two (2) cutlasses and one (1) axe were recovered. Breakdown and brief history of these breakthroughs achieved in the month of April are as follows:
2. Conspiracy, Armed Robbery and Unlawful Possession of Firearms Suspects:
On 21/04/2020 one Ezeugwu Osita (aged 16 years), Abonyi Chigozie (aged 16 years), Ugwuanyi Stanley (aged 16 years), and Isiani Ogechukwu (aged 17 years) were arrested by Operatives of the Command following a report alleging that the suspects, armed with cutlasses and axe, gained entry into a house at Ibeku, Opi-Nsukka and robbed the occupants of the sum of N22, 000.00. One (1) axe, two (2) cutlasses and a small bag containing some items suspected to be charms were recovered. The suspects confessed to the crime and identified one Eneh Cyril (aged 55 years), who was subsequently arrested, as the native doctor responsible for arming them with charms they use in perpetrating crimes. Investigation is ongoing at the Command’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
On 11/04/2020 at about 2325hrs one Uchenna Chukwuani (aged 21 years) was arrested following an alarm raised by victims who alleged the suspect and others now at large, operating in a Mitsubishi Commercial Bus, attacked and robbed them at gunpoint of two (2) different phones and unconfirmed amount of money one of them realized from sales in her shop at Ishida-Amechi, Awkunanaw, Enugu. One (1) locally-made single barrel pistol with two (2) live cartridges was recovered, while investigation is ongoing at the Command’s SARS to arrest and prosecute other fleeing members of the gang.
On 24/04/2020 at about 0930hrs, acting on intelligence, Operatives of the Command’s SARS arrested one Igwe Ugochukwu (aged 23 years) at New Artisan and recovered one (1) locally-made double barrel pistol. Preliminary investigation shows that the suspect is a member of Bagger Confraternity. Further investigation is ongoing.
On 26/04/2020 at about 1300hrs, while on stop and search at Eke-Affa axis of 9th Mile, Enugu, Operatives of the Command’s Department of Operations intercepted three (3) young men on a Motorcycle. In the course of searching them, one escaped, while one (1) locally-made single barrel pistol was recovered on the other two; one Ohaeche Chukwuemeka (aged 27 years) and Nnaike Stanley (aged 23 years). They were arrested and transferred to SARS for further investigation to arrest and prosecute the fleeing member(s) of the gang.
3. Conspiracy, Murder, Unlawful Possession of Firearm and Cultism Suspects:
On 18/04/2020 Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Cultism Unit Enugu with those of Agbani Police Station, acting on intelligence, arrested one Chukwuebuka Ngene (also known as “Udo”) aged 35 years, alleged to have been involved in the killing of one Okenwa Ifeanyi (also known as “Anyi Nature”) on 2nd of February, 2016 during a cult war between Black Axe and Vikings Confraternities at Agbani, Enugu. Following his confessional statements, wherein he confessed to being a member of Black Axe confraternity, one Obinna Chukwu (also known as “Little Johnny”) aged 27 years and a member of the said confraternity, was arrested and one (1) locally-made cut-to-size single barrel gun with one (1) live cartridge recovered. Further investigation is ongoing.
Following a report received on 28/04/2020 at about 0100hrs alleging that members of Black Axe confraternity were conducting initiation and shooting sporadically in a bush at Ugboka village, Enugu; Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Cult Unit stormed the bush. On sighting the Operatives, the alleged cultists escaped and left behind one (1) locally-made cut-to-size single barrel gun. Further to intelligence gathered, the Operatives on 18/04/2020 arrested one Prince Chukwuemeka Edeh Ani (aged 23 years), alleged to have participated in the initiation exercise. One (1) locally-made pistol with one (1) live cartridge was recovered following a search conducted in the premises of the suspect. Meanwhile, full-scale investigation is ongoing.
On 28/04/2020 Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Cult Unit arrested Ekene Emmanuel (also known as “Ifeadigo”) aged 27 years at Otukwu Village, Emene and recovered sixteen (16) rounds of .9mm live ammunition. His arrest was sequel to a report of threat to life with firearm reported by a victim of cult activities. The suspect is helping the Operatives in ongoing investigation to recover the arm(s) meant for the recovered ammunition.
4. Conspiracy and Fraud Suspects:
Following a report alleging that a gang of fraudsters on 14/04/2020 defrauded a cattle dealer at Garriki Cattle Market Enugu, of the sum of One Million, Three Hundred Thousand Naira (N1, 300, 000.00), Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit, acting on intelligence, arrested one of the suspects, Kingsley Uwakwe (aged 28 years) on 19/04/2020 in his criminal hideout at Ogbaku Village in Awgu L.G.A of the State. Preliminary investigation shows that the suspect, who is the kingpin of the gang, had falsely posted himself as “Mr. Moses” and requested the victim to give him cash of the said amount so he could pay for cattle he demanded from a seller; and will in exchange, make a transfer of the said amount into his account. The victim unsuspectingly gave him the cash with the transfer purportedly made into his account and credit alert received. However, the victim later realized that the said sum was nowhere in his account. On 25/04/2020, the Operatives further arrested another member of the gang, one Onyeka Chukwu Nicholas (aged 23 years), a native of Mgbowo village in Awgu L.G.A of the State in his criminal hideout at Mutumbui, Gassol L.G.A of Taraba State. The suspects confessed to the crime and have been transferred the State CID for discreet investigation.
On 17/04/2020, Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit, acting on intelligence, arrested one Okechukwu Chinedu Kenneth (aged 39 years), a native of Adaba village in Uzo-Uwani L.G.A. and resident at Agbani, Nkanu West L.G.A both of the State. His arrest was sequel to series of complaints that he has been defrauding unsuspecting members of the public, including a Local Government Chairman, under the false pretence of being an errand boy to the Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency Rt. Hon. (Dr.) Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. Preliminary investigation reveals that the suspect, who was relieved of his employment at the State’s Ministry of Finance for alleged acts of stealing and fraud, confessed to the crime. He was transferred to the State CID for discreet investigation and has been charged to court for prosecution.
5. In view of the foregoing modest achievements, the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad AbdurRahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM, while commending the efforts of the resilient Officers, security stakeholders and the good citizens of the State for the collaboration and supports that made the breakthroughs possible, has reiterated the Command’s resolve to rid the State of all forms of crimes and criminality, particularly in these trying times of the COVID-19 scourge.
6. To this end, the Commissioner has charged all Area Commanders, DPOs and Heads of Tactical/Operational Departments and Formations of the Command not to rest on their oars in combating all forms of crimes and criminality in the State.
7. Meanwhile, residents of the State have been enjoined to remain law-abiding and report suspected criminals and acts of criminality to the nearest Police Station or by calling the Command’s emergency hotlines on 08032003702, 08075390883, 08086671202 or 08098880172.
ASP DANIEL E. NDUKWE
Police Public Relations Officer
For: Commissioner of Police
Enugu State Police Command