CP Abubakar Lawal

…CP Abubakar orders full-scale-investigation, entreats residents to be law-abiding and supportive

The Enugu Police Command has reacted to the shooting of a 22-year-old by Vigilante in Nkpologwu community, Uzo Uwani local government area of the state.

JOURNALIST101 had reported that one Philip Okoro was shoot by the vigilante members on Wednesday. He later died on Thursday and the news of his demise led to massive unrest in the area.

In a statement issued on Friday, the command’s public relations officer, DSP Daniel Ndukwe said the leader of the vigilante, Barr. Ikechukwu Ezugwu and one of his boys involved in the shooting, Annene Idu, are currently in custody and the pump action used in the shooting recovered.

Ndukwe  said that normalcy has been returned jn the area while the body of the deceased has been  deposited to the morgue for autopsy adding that the commissioner of police has ordered a full scale investigation into the incident.

READ ALSO  SHOCKING: Despite high spate of killings, Buhari Gives Security Chiefs Pass Mark

The statement reads:

The Commissioner of Police, Enugu State Police Command, CP Abuabar Lawal, fdc, has ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police in-charge of the State CID to conduct a full-scale investigation into the case of alleged shooting of one Philip Okoro (m) aged 22, by a Vigilante at Mkpulogo community in Uzo-Uwani LGA on 29/06/2022. The victim was rushed to the hospital and later confirmed dead on 30/06/2022 at about 3pm, by doctors on duty and his corpse deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

Consequently, two (2) members of the Vigilante Group directly link to the shooting and murder of the victim have been arrested. They include: one Annene Idu (m), alleged to have shot the deceased, and Chijioke Ezugwu (m), the Chief Security Officer of the L.G.A. said to have led the Vigilantes to the scene of the incident to arrest hard drugs dealers. Additionally, the Pump Action used for the act has been recovered.

Meanwhile, in protest of the death of the said victim, an angry mob set ablaze the house of the mentioned team leader. However, the fire was put out by Police Operatives, who swiftly mobilized to the scene on receipt of a distress call, before the building could be burnt down.

Normalcy has been restored in the area, while the CP has entreated residents of the community to remain law-abiding and avoid acts capable of breaching public peace in the area, while supporting the Police in the ongoing investigation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here