MONTHLY BREAKTHROUGHS: ARREST OF CONSPIRACY, ARMED ROBBERY, UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS, STEALING, RECEIVING OF STOLEN PROPERTY AND CULTISM SUSPECTS; AND RECOVERY OF ARMS, AMMUNITION AND OTHER ITEMS
1. In furtherance of his commitment to rid Enugu State of Crimes and Criminality, the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad AbdurRahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM, wishes to inform the general public, especially residents of the State, that the Command has successfully arrested a total of twenty two (22) male suspects for the offences of conspiracy, armed robbery, unlawful possession of firearms, stealing, receiving of stolen property and cultism.
2. Items recovered include: one (1) Berretta pistol, eight (8) locally-made firearms, nine (9) rounds of live ammunition, one (1) live cartridge, one (1) motorcycle, twelve (12) handsets, two (2) axe, one (1) dagger, three (3) knives, one (1) laptop, cash sum of N6, 000.00 and other miscellaneous items.
3. Breakdown and brief history of these breakthroughs achieved mostly in the month of May 2020 are as follows:
4. Conspiracy, Armed Robbery, Unlawful Possession of Firearms, Stealing and Receiving of Stolen Property Suspects:
* Following a distress call received at Independence Layout Police Station on 01/06/2020 at about 0439hrs that armed robbers were operating in the area, Operatives of the Command attached to the Station, swooped on them and arrested one of the suspects, Gerald Chinyeaka (aged 29yrs), while the others escaped. One (1) berretta pistol with four (4) rounds of live ammunition, eight (8) phones, one (1) laptop, one (1) electric iron, one (1) Access Bank ATM card, two (2) power banks, one (1) Blue Tooth Handset and one (1) phone watch allegedly robbed from their victims were recovered. Investigation is ongoing to apprehend and prosecute fleeing members of the gang.
* Following a report made at Igbo-Eze North Police Station on 15/04/2020 at about 1100hrs that unknown hoodlums burgled a house at Enugu-Ezike, Nsukka and carted away a motorcycle and other unconfirmed valuables, Operatives of the Station on 25/05/2020 at about 1430hrs arrested Ejike Ali (aged 26yrs), Ogili Sunday (aged 25yrs) and Ukaonu Odoh (aged 32yrs), said to have received the stolen motorcycle. One (1) locally-made single barrel gun, one (1) axe and the motorcycle were recovered. Preliminary investigation shows that the Suspects confessed to the crime, while further investigation conducted by a combined team of Operatives attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and the Police Station led to the arrest of Festus Onu (aged 19yrs), Ogbu Onyeka (aged 25yrs) and Aji Ikechukwu, alleged to have received another stolen motorcycle. Further investigation is ongoing at SARS, Enugu.
* Following complaint received on 29/05/2020 at about 0030hrs from a victim who alleged he was attacked and robbed the sum of N6, 000.00 by some armed robbers at Obollo-Afor, Operatives of the Command, assisted by Neighbourhood Watch Group of the area, arrested Agboeze Chukwuebuka (aged 25yrs), while others escaped. Two (2) locally-made pistols and the sum of N6, 000.00 were recovered from him. Preliminary investigation reveals that the suspect confessed to the crime and is assisting the Police in ongoing investigation at SARS, Enugu.
* On 31/05/2020 at about 0722hrs, Eze Ifeanyi and Emeka Okafor, both of Ebonyi State, were arrested by Operatives of the Command attached to Amechi-Idodo Police Station while on COVID-19 enforcement duty at Enugu/Ebonyi States border security post. Preliminary investigation shows that the suspects were intercepted en-route Ebonyi State from Enugu on a Suzuki Jaguar motorcycle with Reg. No. AFK 865 QU. Following a search conducted on them, one (1) locally-made revolver pistol with five (5) rounds of live ammunition and two (2) mobile phones were recovered. Discreet investigation is ongoing at the State CID.
5. Conspiracy, Unlawful Possession of Firearms and Cultism Suspects:
* On 10/05/2020 at about 0930hrs, Isiala Salifu (aged 20yrs), Agbo Izuchukwu Gerald (aged 29yrs), Oneze Chinecherem (20yrs) and Onah Chinedu were arrested by Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Cultism Unit with the assistance of the Neighbourhood Watch Group of Umuakashi Nsukka in a bush in the area, following intelligence gathered that a group of cultists were planning to carry out cult initiation. Preliminary investigation shows that the Suspects confessed to being members of Black Axe Confraternity and that they contributed money to procure arms and other weapons used in executing cult activities. One (1) locally-made single barrel pistol with one (1) live cartridge and one (1) axe were recovered from them. Discreet investigation is ongoing at the Unit.
* On 23/04/2020, a combined team of the Command’s Anti-Cultism Unit and Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) Operatives, acting on intelligence, arrested Onyedika Okeke (also known as “Bull Dog”, aged 23yrs), Igwe Ugochukwu (aged 23yrs) and Igbokwe Anayo in their criminal hideout at New Artisan, Enugu, where they were alleged to be preparing for a robbery operation. One (1) locally-made double barrel pistol was recovered from them. Preliminary investigation reveals that they confessed to being members of Supreme Vikings Confraternity (also known as “Bagger”) and have been involved in criminal activities, including armed robbery. Discreet investigation is ongoing at Anti-Cultism Unit.
* On 13/05/2020 at about 1400hrs, Izuchukwu Nnaji (aged 22yrs), Olamide Abudukabiro (aged 28yrs) and Chibueze Onwuasoka (aged 20yrs) were arrested by Operatives of the Command’s Anti-Cult Unit, with the assistance of Vigilante Group, following a report received that a group of suspected cultists robbed some victims of their valuables at New Artisan, Enugu. Preliminary investigation shows that the Suspects confessed to the crime as well as being members of Supreme Vikings Confraternity. Three (3) knives used during the robbery, two (2) ATM cards and one (1) phone allegedly robbed from one of their victims, were recovered from them. Discreet investigation is ongoing at the Unit.
* On 24/05/2020 at 0820hrs, Ngwu Chidiebere Ebuka (aged 20 yrs) was arrested along New Market by Iva-Valley Road, Enugu by Operatives attached to the Command’s Department of Operations Township Patrol. Following a search conducted on him, one (1) locally-made double barrel pistol, one (1) dagger, one black Nokia Phone and a black bag containing weeds suspected to be Indian hemp were recovered. Suspect confessed to being a member of Cat Secret Cult (under Black Axe Confraternity) and was on his way to attend their cult group meeting before his arrest. Discreet investigation is ongoing at the Command’s Anti-Cultism Unit.
* On 26/04/2020, Operatives of the Command’s Udenu Police Station, acting on intelligence, arrested Ikechukwu Ohabuenyi (also known as “Prince Odioke”, aged 29 years) at Ogwu Rest House, where he and one other now at large, both suspected members of Black Axe Confraternity, were alleged to have gone to kill a victim. Preliminary investigation reveals that on meeting the absence of their target, they started brandishing arm and other weapons, claiming that they would have killed him if he was seen. One (1) locally-made cut-to-size single barrel gun and two (2) machetes were recovered from the suspect, while discreet investigation to arrest and prosecute the fleeing suspect is ongoing at the Command’s Anti-Cult Unit.
6. To this end, the Commissioner of Police, while commending the efforts of the Operatives as well as supports received from security stakeholders that made the breakthroughs possible, has charged Tactical/Operational Officers and Men of the Command not to rest on their oars in ridding the State of crimes and criminality, especially in these challenging times of Corona Virus pandemic.
7. Meanwhile, residents of the State have been enjoined to remain law-abiding, vigilant and promptly report suspected criminals and acts of criminality to the nearest Police Station or call the Command’s emergency hotlines on: 08032003702, 08086671202, 08075390883 or 08098880172.
ASP DANIEL E. NDUKWE
Police Public Relations Officer,
FOR: Commissioner of Police,
Enugu State Police Command