Police in Ondo State have arrested a man identified as Samuel Akoade for allegedly hacking his 60-year-old mother, Mrs Olufunke Amoo, to death with a machete in Ore, Odigbo Local Government Area of the state.
The incident occurred on Sunday, August 16, 2026, with the suspect’s arrest confirmed by the Ondo State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, in a statement issued on Monday, August 17.
According to the Command’s spokesperson, the command received a report that Amoo had been found lying in a pool of blood at her residence.
“Preliminary information revealed that the victim had sustained deep machete cuts and was already dead when she was discovered,” the statement said.
Following the report, operatives attached to the Ore Division immediately mobilised to the scene, secured the area and commenced preliminary investigations.
“A machete suspected to have been used in the attack was recovered, while the scene was photographed and documented,” the police said.
The command said the suspected assailant, who was initially identified simply as Samuel, had fled the scene before the arrival of the police.
“The suspected assailant, initially identified simply as Samuel, was reported to have fled the scene before the arrival of the police,” the statement added.
However, police operatives subsequently tracked down and arrested the suspect, who was identified as Samuel Akoade.
“However, following sustained efforts by the operatives, Samuel Akoade was subsequently arrested and taken into police custody,” the statement said.
The remains of the deceased have been deposited at a mortuary, while Akoade remains in police custody.
“The remains of the deceased have been deposited at the mortuary, while the suspect remains in custody,” the police said.
The case has since been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Akure, for further investigation.
“The case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Akure, for further investigation,” the statement added.
The Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, CP Felix N. Ohagwu, directed that the investigation be conducted thoroughly and professionally to establish the circumstances surrounding the killing and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.
The command also reassured residents of its commitment to protecting lives and property, urging members of the public to continue providing timely and useful information to the police, particularly regarding suspicious activities in their communities.





