The Osun State Police Command has provided a fresh account of the incident surrounding Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, disclosing that a 60-year-old man was allegedly shot dead shortly after a confrontation involving suspected hoodlums and the security team of Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido.

The Command said it had commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident, which occurred after Governor Adeleke and Davido visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun.

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, disclosed this in a statement issued on behalf of the Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, on Wednesday evening.

According to Ojelabi, the Command received information at about 4 p.m. that Tajudeen Yusuf, a resident of Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, had been shot at Itaolokan.

“On Wednesday, 19th August 2026, at about 1600hrs, the command received information that one Tajudeen Yusuf, male, aged 60 years, of Oke-Ayepe area, Osogbo, was shot by suspected hoodlums at Itaolokan area of Osogbo,” the statement read.

The Police said preliminary investigation established that Governor Adeleke and Davido had earlier paid a courtesy visit to the Ataoja of Osogbo.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that earlier in the day, His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Osun State, Senator Ademola Adeleke, accompanied by his nephew, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, paid a courtesy visit to the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun, at the palace,” it stated.

The Command said trouble reportedly erupted after a suspected ex-convict and gang member, identified as Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was stopped by members of the singer’s security team.

“Immediately after the visit, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as ‘Small Rugged,’ an ex-convict, a suspected notorious thug and a member of Eiye Confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of his security team,” Ojelabi said.

According to the Police, the confrontation attracted other suspected gang members, who allegedly blocked the palace entrance temporarily and obstructed the movement of the convoy.

“The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement. The convoy eventually left the area safely,” the statement added.

The Police said the suspected gang members subsequently left the area but allegedly attacked Yusuf at Itaolokan.

“Shortly afterwards, the suspected gang members reportedly departed the vicinity and, however on their way, they allegedly shot Tajudeen Yusuf at Itaolokan area of Osogbo,” the Command stated.

Police operatives were immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Yusuf seriously injured.

“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of blood.

“He was promptly rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, for medical attention. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead by the doctors on duty.”

The Command said it had intensified efforts to identify and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while CP Etaifo condemned the killing and vowed that those responsible would face the law.

“The command has commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident and intensified efforts to identify, apprehend and bring the fleeing suspects to justice.

“The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, strongly condemns the dastardly act and assures members of the public that the Command will deploy all available resources to apprehend those responsible,” the statement said.

The Police appealed to residents with useful information to assist investigators in identifying and arresting the suspects.

“The command therefore urges anyone with useful information that could assist the investigation to promptly approach the nearest police station or contact the Command through its official channels,” it added.

The Command also urged residents to remain calm and refrain from taking the law into their own hands.

“Members of the public are also advised to remain calm and refrain from taking the law into their own hands.

“Further updates will be provided as the investigation progresses,” the statement concluded.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here