A night vigil turned bloody in Kwara State after armed gunmen invaded a prayer ground in Ekiti Local Government Area, killing three worshippers and abducting 15 others during a deadly late-night attack.
The attack occurred on Saturday night at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, situated on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in the Ikerin/Ajuba axis of the state.
Confirming the incident on Sunday, the Kwara State Police Command described the assault as “gruesome,” “barbaric,” and a direct attack on innocent citizens gathered for worship.
In a statement issued in Ilorin, the Police Public Relations Officer, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, said the Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, strongly condemned the attack and ordered an immediate rescue operation.
“The Kwara State Police Command strongly condemns the gruesome attack, killing, and abduction of innocent worshippers by armed criminals at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, located on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State,” the statement read.
According to the police, the incident was reported by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, who was leading members of his congregation in a night vigil when the gunmen stormed the prayer ground.
“While conducting a night vigil alongside members of his congregation at Ori-Oke Ijaye via Ekerin village, armed hoodlums invaded the prayer ground, firing sporadically,” the police commissioner stated.
The attackers reportedly opened fire indiscriminately, killing three worshippers on the spot before whisking away 15 others to an unknown destination.
Following the distress call, operatives attached to the Ekiti Division of the command were immediately drafted to the area.
“Upon receipt of the distress report, the Divisional Police Officer, Ekiti Division, immediately mobilised operatives to the scene,” Ojo said.
The police commissioner disclosed that a full-scale tactical and intelligence-driven operation has since been launched to rescue the abducted victims and hunt down those responsible for the carnage.
“A comprehensive tactical and intelligence-driven operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Units, and other operational assets has been deployed for a coordinated rescue mission,” he added.
Describing the attack as “heinous” and “barbaric,” Ojo assured residents that security agencies were intensifying operations across the affected communities.
“The command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the apprehension of the perpetrators behind the heinous act,” he promised.
He further revealed that bush combing, surveillance, and intelligence gathering had been intensified in and around the area as security operatives continue efforts to track down the assailants.
“Vigorous efforts are ongoing, including bush combing, intelligence gathering, and coordinated security operations to track down the assailants and bring them to justice,” the commissioner said.
The police command appealed to residents to remain calm and support security agencies with credible information that could aid ongoing rescue efforts and security operations.





