President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Nigeria’s President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has reportedly joined a request by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) seeking an additional 10 days to comply with a federal court order requiring the release of records linked to longstanding allegations concerning him.

The development was disclosed by Von Batten, a Washington, D.C.-based Republican lobbying firm, which said it obtained a copy of a recent court filing submitted on Tinubu’s behalf.

According to the firm, Tinubu formally joined the DOJ’s request for a 10-day extension just two business days before the filing was made public.

The request was, however, rejected by U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell, who ordered that the records be released by August 21, 2026.

The records are being sought in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit filed by Aaron Greenspan, a case that has reportedly remained before the federal courts for more than three years.

The dispute centres on records held by the DOJ, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) relating to allegations concerning Tinubu and U.S. financial accounts associated with him in the 1990s.

The lobbying firm said Tinubu’s decision to formally participate in the extension request raised questions about his reasons for seeking additional time before the records are released.

“We surmise that President Tinubu wants to use any delay to call upon his friends in DC to argue that the release of these files would harm U.S.-Nigeria relations,” the firm stated.

It further alleged that Tinubu could argue that disclosure of the records might affect his ability to cooperate with the United States on counterterrorism and security matters, including efforts to address violence and the killing of Christians in northern Nigeria.

The firm also warned against any attempt by U.S. officials to interfere with the judicial or FOIA process to prevent the documents from becoming public.

“We believe that any U.S. government personnel who improperly attempt to interfere with the judicial or FOIA process on behalf of Nigerian President Tinubu to prevent the lawful release of these records should be exposed and fired,” it said.

The controversy dates back to allegations from the early 1990s, including the 1993 forfeiture of about $460,000 connected to accounts associated with Tinubu in a U.S. proceeding involving suspected proceeds of narcotics trafficking.

Tinubu has consistently denied wrongdoing and has previously rejected allegations linking him personally to drug trafficking.

The latest development has nevertheless intensified attention on the FOIA litigation, particularly following the reported decision by the Nigerian president to formally join the request for additional time.

The lobbying firm also referenced President Donald Trump’s stated opposition to shielding individuals accused of serious criminal conduct, arguing that the U.S. government should allow the judicial process to proceed without political interference.

For now, Judge Howell’s ruling means the requested records are expected to be released by August 21, unless further legal proceedings alter the deadline.

The contents of the records remain unknown. Their release could potentially shed more light on the allegations, the 1990s forfeiture proceedings and the manner in which U.S. law-enforcement agencies investigated matters involving Tinubu-linked accounts.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here