Gunmen on Wednesday reportedly attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, sparking an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the monarch following his receipt of the Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo, after his re-election as governor.

Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State INEC headquarters.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, adding that Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler.

She said the situation turned tense shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch offered prayers.

According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already exited the palace hall through an entrance traditionally reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when gunshots suddenly rang out.

She said the attackers reportedly arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo,” she said.

The eyewitness said the gun battle lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she added.

The motive behind the attack was not immediately clear as of the time of filing this report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here